Whether it’s used as flooring, in the kitchen as a splashback or for benchtops, or in the bathroom – has one great downfall: grout. Since grout is porous in nature, unsealed grout absorbs all kinds of stains, from mildew to coffee and everything in between. To say it’s a headache to keep grout clean is an understatement.
What you’ll need:
• Oxygenated bleach
• Warm water
• Coarse scrubbing brush (like an old toothbrush)
• Grout sealer
TIP: Cleaning coloured grout should be done with special care. Bleaching agents (like chlorine bleach) can discolour and harm the coloured grout. Fortunately, oxygenated bleach does not contain corrosive chemicals and is safe to use on all grout.
1. Clean the surface thoroughly, removing any surface residue or debris. Let the grout dry fully.
2. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of oxygenated bleach in 2 cups of warm water. Wet the brush in the mixture and apply it to the grout. Let it soak in, then scrub the grout in a circular motion, which will loosen the stain more effectively than a front-and-back motion. If needed, dip the wet brush into the oxygenated bleach to make a paste. Wipe clean, then let dry.
Tip: To lift extra-dark stains, squeeze lemon juice onto the stain, let it soak in, then scrub, wipe clean and let the grout dry. Use lemon juice sparingly, since it can damage some tile finishes.
3. Spray the tiles and grout with an eco-friendly cleaning spray and wipe them clean. Let the grout dry fully before making a final decision on whether your hard work paid off – damp grout looks darker than dry grout.
4. Apply grout sealer after the grout has fully dried to avoid any future stains. Be sure to reapply it each year.
It’s important to note that all our advice is general in nature and all bathrooms are unique so always speak to your local qualified tradesman for the best advice. If you are looking for a bathroom renovation quote and live in Perth, Western Australia just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for more content – Check out all our socials below and give us a follow for more awesome ideas and inspiration.
check out our Instagram page with tons of inspiration CLICK HERE
Follow Us On Facebook