I have heard more horror stories about cowboy bathroom renovators then you could image. From lighting rooms on fire on the first day to tiles falling off the ceiling (yes the actual ceiling), it can be just plain scary but we are here to help you spot the dodgy renovator.
There are some tell-tale signs that can help you spot the difference between a handyman renovator and the real deal in the list below.
Be very careful about taking on a bathroom renovator who:
– 1. Offers very cheap quotes or estimates. – This could mean they are desperate for work, could be adding your job to one of many they are doing at once or are looking to add extra later on.
– 2. Is unwilling to put a quote or estimate in writing. – This could mean they don’t intend to stick to the price and can always say “your price didn’t include that”.
– 3. Is unwilling to offer references. A top renovator will always have ready and willing people to contact for a reference. They should give you at least 10 references. A good renovator will do at least 30 bathrooms a year and if they have done this for multiple years are you telling me they can’t give you at least 10 good jobs they have done?.
– 4. Are not qualified in waterproofing – Waterproofing is the most important part of your bathroom renovation. When this done incorrectly your bathroom will leak after you spend thousands and will take thousands to repair again. So its important you get a qualified company. We at on the ball bathrooms are members of the Australian Institute Of Waterproofing as well as each member of our team having a Certificate III In Construction Waterproofing.
– 5. Has never done the work him or her self. This job is all about experience and it’s almost impossible to understand the hard tasks involved in bathroom renovations unless you have physically done it your self. Its one thing to manage trades which is relying on strangers they employee to do the job hopefully correctly or a company like ours with the person who quotes your job works on your job.
-6. Is unwilling to offer you details about their business – For example an address or landline number. What are they hiding? Are they afraid you’re going to come after them once the jobs finished. Remember, it’s real easy to ignore mobile phone calls and change a mobile number. So its important to pick a company with a showroom so if you have issues you can go and discuss in person.
If you’re going to renovate your bathroom to a high standard, you’re going to pay at least around $12,000, which is a considerable amount of money. You have worked too hard for too long for your home, don’t you think it’s worth doing a bit of digging around to get the right people. Like any thing you buy you take risks but by doing all the research and asking your self the right questions you will cut the risk. I say this as someone who has worked in this business his whole life, there is so many companies that treat people horribly once they get their money as they know if they rip out your bathroom you have nowhere to go as you need it finished. The Australian standards that are acceptable for bathroom renovations is so low that a bathroom renovator get away murder with all the stories I hear from clients. The most important part is the after renovation care which is why references are so important. Six years are a long time to guarantee something so take that into consideration when picking a renovator, just ask yourself are they going to be around in that time and if they are just a sub contractor good chances are no.
Remember you only do this once so whether you settle or the lower price for the unknown or you pay that little bit extra to get the renovator who you know will do the best job it’s always important to ask questions! stupid or not the more you ask the less you will stress.
If you want a bathroom renovator who:
- Gives fair quotes for quality work
- Offers detailed and itemised quotes
- Offers a long list of references and videos of the team
- Only starts the job when you’re 100% ready and the “i”‘s are dotted and the “t”‘s crossed..
- Guarantees a finish date
- Is completely transparent about their business
- Has a great, long-standing reputation
- Is completely insured and qualified
- Only asks you to pay when you’re 100% happy with every aspect of your new bathroom
2022 Bathroom Renovation Trends
The bathroom trends for 2022 will be one of being bold and exploring your creative side as many of us are stuck more and more at home looking for an outlet. We cover everything you will need to know about renovating a bathroom in 2022 and what you should be avoiding if you can.
It’s important to note that all our advice is general in nature and all bathrooms are unique so always speak to your local qualified tradesman for the best advice. If you are looking for a bathroom renovation quote and live in Perth, Western Australia just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for more content – Check out all our socials below and give us a follow for more awesome ideas and inspiration. We have a newsletter coming soon so follow us for announcements.
Join our close to 5000 followers on our Instagram page with tons of daily inspiration to help you on your renovation journey CLICK HERE
Follow Us On Facebook
If you have any advice on whether or not you should use matt white bathroom tapware or any other type of matt tapware asked me any question you are chasing I am always happy to offer any advice where I can – COMMENT BELOW.